Monday, April 19

south dakota wildflower...

this is bloodroot
poking thru the ground.
~~~
this wildflower native
to south dakota
gets its' name
from the blood-red juice
in its' rhizomes.
this juice was used
by native americans
for dye.
~~~
the flowers emerge
wrapped tightly by the leaves.
~~~
it flowers and
the leaves open.
more foliage follows
on longer stems
after the flowers are gone.
the foliage is as beautiful
as the flowers are.
bloodroot lives
in the shade.
~~~
i got my bloodroot
in a coulee
on some land
of my dad and mom's.
i didn't know what it was
when i dug it up
but i loved the foliage.
later, i learned
all about
my little wild treasure!
~~~~~
~~~
~
have a wild day!
peggy




2 comments:

  1. Hi beautiful! The first time I visited I couldn't get to the pictures (an Internet problem) and now I've come back to peruse again. I already know that I will love visiting here from this top post.
    Makes me want to start mine up again. (The wordpress one I started recently died without leaving anything behind - yeah, so sad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sherry!

    thank you for all your comments on my blog! they are greatly appreciated! i'm glad you took a look!

    love ya,

    peggy

    ReplyDelete